Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Leaving tomorrow


I cannot figure out how to add pictures to this blog from my camera, but I added these two from my computer so that I could look at my family every time I log on to write. I expect that this will be a picture-free blog until Dana joins me in Zamora and shows me how to do it.
It's down to the last minute details -- got an 8 am haircut and am now making the big decisions about things like which headlamp to bring, whether to buy a new fancy rain poncho in Madrid, whether to bring the zip-off pants or just regular pants, all the fascinating minutia that comes with getting ready for a long walk. Since there's only room for one book in the pack (unless we make the move to kindle or an ipad, but not this year), I got recommendations for a long book that's not too heavy. Two of my close friends said to go for Cutting for Stone, so it's now snug in my pack.
I will arrive in Madrid early Friday morning. From the airport, I'll head to an outdoor store to buy a few things they are holding for me, then buy a card for our trusty cell phone (purchased on Camino #2 in 2002 for 25 euros, which included 25 euros of talk time), and then head down to Atocha to get the train to Sevilla.
I have decided not to take a rest day in Sevilla, thinking that I would do better to have an extra day that I could use along the way in case, perish the thought, my foot starts acting up. So I'll just pick up and go on Saturday morning. It's an easy 23 km/15 mile walk and goes past some important Roman ruins. I have made a reservation in the Hostal Bar Frances for my first night, so even if I sleep in late, I won't have to worry about being shut out of the albergue.
It feels kind of funny to be saying goodbye to everyone on a blog, so maybe I'll send some emails as well. I'm just not too used to this blog thing. I'll be in touch as soon as I can find internet -- I know there's an internet cafe in Sevilla about 3 blocks from my hotel, so I'll try to say hi from Sevilla.
YIPPEEEE!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment