Wednesday, May 19, 2010

In Baños de Montemayor

I am almost out of Extremadura and soon to enter Castilla y León. The landscape is changing, today I was walking closer and closer to snow covered mountains and am now in a town filled with half-timbered houses, plazas with porticoes and overhanging houses, it's all very pretty.

The weather is getting warmer, but we have been spared real heat, thankfully. I think it was probably in the mid 80s when I finally trudged into my town today. Yesterday, I was in a tiny town with nothing, absolutely nothing, just 9 children (they keep the school open till it drops below three), one bar, a pharmacy and grocery store (neither one opened when I was there). So today after 26 km, when I walked into another one of those towns, I decided to slog on another 10 to make it to this much bigger place. It's really pretty, I'm very glad I did. And now, if I play my cards right and manage to do another long day or two, I will get to Salamanca a day early and can take a rest day there! I love Salamanca, so even though it will be a Sunday, it would be a very nice reward for several long days.

A lot of the people I have been walking with are finishing their walks in Salamanca, so there will undoubtedly be lots of new people to take there place. Last night in the small albergue, there was a young Spanish couple on bicycles. They told me they felt like they were traveling abroad, because no one they had met could speak any Spanish. Not that they minded, but it is pretty strange when in an albergue of 17 people there are 7 Danes, 3 Dutch, 4 Germans, me and this couple!

I have walked through more wildflowers in these last few days than I ever dreamed existed in the universe. Although there were some curve balls on the trail today (due to the construction of the new super highway), I managed to only half fall into a stream and to only get lost once. But luckily there are always people who appear at the moment when you think you're really in trouble.

Tomorrow there's an ascent of some significance, really the first one I´ve had up till now. Hope I haven't forgotten how to go up hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment