Monday, May 17, 2010

Living it up in Carcaboso

Call me extravagant, but today I walked only 11 km (all on asphalt, though, which is hard on the old tootsies) and then checked into a hostal where a private room with bath, and a bed with crisp white ironed sheets were waiting for me, all for 20€. Now I could have gone and slept on the floor of the polideportivo (sports complex) for 5€, and I could have shared a room and bathroom in a private albergue with four other peregrinos for 10€, but I splurged for the high life.

There have been some very good days and some highway asphalt (mainly around a huge reservoir that has dammed up the Tajo River). Yesterday was the best of the last few -- a 28 km walk through meadows of wild flowers with snow capped mountains in the distance (must have been the Gredos range, where our family spent last Christmas). Though I didn't think I was in Switzerland, it was very very pretty. And I found a huge boulder perfectly carved into a chair for me, even with a ledge for my yoghurt and fruit!

The crowds are increasing. I now have company every night at dinner, nearly all of it German speaking (I would say there are about 15 who are either Austrian, Flemish, or German) with one lonely Spaniard who speaks nothing but Spanish, an Italian who makes himself understood with bits and pieces of different languages, and a French couple who also speak some Spanish. So that makes post-walking time a lot more interesting. As far as walking goes, though, I'm in the habit of just starting off on my own and either running into people or not as the case may be. Lots of time to just enjoy the surroundings.

Weather is still beautiful, I feel very lucky. Less than a week to Salamanca.

No comments:

Post a Comment