Friday, May 7, 2010

Zafra, the Little Sevilla

I will say this -- Zafra is a very pretty small city, but whoever decided to call it the Little Sevilla has probably never been to Sevilla. It has a castle, a few nice plazas, and some peaceful and flowering parks, some narrow streets of white houses oozing flowers over the balconies, but Sevilla it ain't.

Today was a 24 km day, went very smoothly and I FINALLY met a couple of people to walk with and talk to. I met two British men who came up to have a coffee at the same cafe about 7 km out of our first town. It was nice walking for several hours with them, but they stopped walking in Zafra, so I'm back to being on my own again.

Not one bit of pavement today, it was just great. The camino went through ag lands the whole way, and I saw my first vineyards (the wine has been pretty undrinkable so far, but I think it will improve as I get north). There were several more dicey water crossings, but one of the Brits was even less graceful stepping on stones and logs than I am, so it boosted my self confidence. The first trouble spot was a low point in the road, and the water was about 4 feet high. Two cyclists ahead of us had found a way to cross through the fields and motioned for us to come. Not only did they have to carry their heavily loaded bikes across these precarious logs one by one, they also waited and made sure we got safely across. And they waited for us at the second spot, too, having seen how old and feeble we were. :-) I'm happy to report that I didn't even need to grab onto them on the second crossing, just skipped right across the rocks myself, and then promptly stepped into the reeds and sank down about halfway up my shin. Ah well, grace is my middle name after all.

Notwithstanding my bad bed bug experience in Zafra last time, I decided to tempt fate and stay there. I have my own room and the woman assured me there were no problems at all. And the other few walkers I've met are all there, so it seemed like the only sensible thing to do. Not that I really have any interaction with them but it is nice to see other people on the road when you leave in the morning.

Well, rain is in the forecast, I'll have to dig my poncho out of the depths of my backpack.

I can't believe I've been walking for one week already. Dana joins me in three weeks! And then the pictures should magically appear on the blog.

2 comments:

  1. Elaine and I looked at this and wow! You are really doing it, Laurie and your feet are fine...I am sooo glad!

    Plus your description of the road is charming and makes me wish so much I were there.

    I'll keep reading.......and smiling thinking of you on the trail.......

    xoxox Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Terry,
    On these long stretches of solitary walking, my thoughts inevitably turn to caminos of years past, and of course I've been thinking of you, Jan and Erna when we walked in France -- remember when we were interviewed for the TV show? Remember the meal where every course was duck? Maybe we will do it again, you never know!

    ReplyDelete